Monday, April 8, 2013

The life n times of an injured 12WBT'er


Thanks to Jules I've finally risen from the blog fog...

It's been nearly 2 month since my injury.  The blog's been very quiet as this injury gig has been a mental struggle and the last thing I wanted to put my readers through are "poor me" whinge sessions.

In all this time I've probably had just over a handful of workouts.   No legs just purely upper body and it felt disappointing.
I deliberately don't wear my heart rate monitor so the calorie burn won't get me down. All I want to do is run, jump, cycle and I'm just not ready yet.  Yes I could have done a lot more upper-body in the last 4 weeks but the inner tantruming child took over.

Good news is in the last fortnight I finally hit gold I  found a physio who specialises in knees.  It took me 4 weeks to get my first appointment and my recovery is finally coming leaps and bounds.

Every second day since my appointment I've been heading to the gym and pumping out four leg exercises.

15 mins on the bike low resistance.
3 x 12 reps Single Leg Press (each leg)
3 x 12 reps Single Leg Extension (each leg)
Single leg squats

If I could get my single leg presses to 70kg & leg extension to 25-30kg I would be prescribed some impact exercises this coming Friday.  At the moment I'm sitting on 64kg for the leg press & 23kg leg extensions so I'm positive I am going to get there.

In the seven weeks I have been injured I'm 500g down on the scales and have lost 12.5cm in the last 4 weeks.   I guess this can be seen as an achievement there have been quite a few red flag events, I have not been able to do any cardio and I sit here still with a loss.  I am disappointed in my overall results as I had huge expectations of being 9kg to goal weight at the end of the Round but in the grand scheme the old Dayna probably would of gained 5kg+ by now especially over Birthday & Easter Celebrations and I sit here wearing my first ever pair of Levi skinny leg jeans..

I celebrated my 32nd birthday last month it was bittersweet.  My G ran my Birthday Fun Run for me but I downgraded him to the 4km.   Bless him there was no way I was letting him do the 8km in 34 degree heat. He is a one minute athlete without any training, preparation or running of any kind in over 6 months he went from zero to hero running 4km in 28 minutes with the gorgeous Bec Green. (Bastard) Ah my only hope is I can spring back into 4km like he did that day.

I will be back sooner than my last post but it's time for bed, Goodnight and I will see you on the flipside.





3 comments:

  1. YAY!!! So good to have you back blogging.
    And you're amazing! Injured, with lots of red flags, and still down on the scales!!! GO YOU GOOD THING!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday. I hope you're doing well. Take care.

    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayna you are handling this curve ball in your journey with such grace. Call it a consolidation round. Call it a round that you have learnt about yourself. Call it a round that you know you can still lose weight and cm even with an injury, rather than throw in the towel and implode. I think you've done great.

    Keep the faith. And a belated happy birthday to you.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete