Monday, December 10, 2012

Yoghurts are not created equal

I am a huge fan of yoghurt for snacks & a breakfast staple. There are a few qualities I rank my yoghurts by taste, consistency, ingredients & calories. Here is a list of my favourites.

1. Roaming Cow Greek Style Reduced Fat Yoghurt

100g: 90 Calories
Ingredients: Milk, Milk Solids, Cream, Live Cultures (including Acidophilus, Bifidus & Casei).
No Added sugar, No Added colours and flavours, No Added preservatives, No Gluten & Gelatine
Consistency: Smooth, Creamy, Delicious, perfect for a milk alternative for cereal or with fruit.

Per 100g

Energy 385kJ
Protein 5.6g
Fat Total 4.7g
- Saturated 3.2g
Carbohydrate 6.8g
Sugars 6.8g
Sodium 62mg
Calcium 185mg


2. Black Swan Breakfast Yoghurt

100g: 97 Calories
Ingredients: Milk, Milk Solids Non-Fat, Dietary Fiber(Inulin), Thickener(1442), Halal Gelatine, Live Probiotic Cultures( Lactobacillus Acidophilis, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus Casei, > 100Million Per Serve), Live Yoghurt Cultures, Soy Solids, Enzyme(Lactase), Vitamin D.
Consistency: Smooth, Creamy, Delicious, perfect for a milk alternate for cereal, naturally sweet.

Per 100g

Energy 406kJ
Protein 7.5g
Fat Total 2.8g
- Saturated 2.1g
Carbohydrate 10.3g
Sugars 5.0g
Lactose Nil
Galactose 2.3g
Sodium 170mg
Calcium 190mg
Vitamin D 0.5µg


3. Chobani Non Fat Yoghurt

100g: 58 Calories
Ingredients: Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk. Live And Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus And L. Casei.
No Gluten, 95% Lactose Free, No colours and flavours, No Preservatives
Consistency: Smooth, Thick, best served plain or with fruit (Not suitable as a milk alternative)

Per 100g

Energy 241kJ
Protein 9.2g
Fat Total 0.1g
- Saturated 0g
Carbohydrate 7.6g
Sugars 5.3g
Sodium 75mg
Calcium 184mg


4. Five:am Organic Yoghurt Coffee Bean

100g: 111.4 Calories
Ingredients: Organic Low Fat Milk, Organic Vanilla (water, raw sugar, rice starch, vanilla bean extract.05%), Organic Raw Sugar, Milk Solids, Live Cultures (incl. probiotics acidophilus and bifidus).
No Gluten and Gelatine, No colours and flavours, No Preservatives.
Consistency: Smooth, Creamy, Delicious, NoM NoM NoM I love this yoghurt as a treat.
Per 100g

Energy 467kJ
Protein 4.7g
Fat Total 5.1g
- Saturated 3.3g
Carbohydrate 11.6g
Sugars 11.0g
Sodium 55mg
Calcium 184mg



Now onto the Not so great


If you want to go by Calories then Yoplait Forme looks awesome but is it with all the artificial ingredients?
If you have a read at the ingredients list below for my personal preference there are just too many numbers involved.  And a few of them are associated with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure & Cancer.  Yoplait market Forme as a guilt free diet dessert but it just doesn't add up to me; I want to lose weight to be healthier but the consequence of eating this and other so called health foods with there Artificial Sweeteners & Fructose that could potentially make me sick is counter-productive.  For an extra 18 Calories give me Chobani any day need that sweet kick grab a teaspoon of honey just remember to count the calories.

Yoplait Forme


Ingredients: Skim Milk, Milk Solids, Water, Thickeners (1442, 440, 406, 410), Fructose, Halal Gelatine, Mineral Salts (341, 452), Flavours, Sweeteners (951, 950), Acidity Regulators (330, 331) Preservative (200), Natural Colours (160a, 120), Live Yogurt Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L Acidophilus & Bifidobacterium.


Per 100g: 40 Calories

Energy 167kJ
Protein 3.9g
Fat Total 0.1g
- Saturated 0.1g
Carbohydrate 5.7g
Sugars 4.8g
Sodium 66mg
Calcium 180mg




Next time you have a few extra minutes in the Supermarket I highly recommend comparing the label of your current yoghurt with others.   Yoghurt is becoming a big industry with many new organic varieties hitting our shelves.  Enjoy experimenting I hope you can discover a new taste sensation with my above recommendations.

For a little yoghurt inspiration check out some of these recipes at Chobani Kitchen

Mango Froco Pops 90 Calories
Mixed Berry Froco Pops 100 Calories
Tzatziki 45 Calories
Beet Tzatziki 90 Calories





3 comments:

  1. Great post Dayna. I have become a late Yoghurt Bloomer! LOL I have never liked it, I did the whole "yoghurt face" urrrgh. But I've just started eating it, and well it's Yoplait, but you gotta start somewhere right? At least I'm not doing the yoghurt face any more!

    Am going to look out for your selected ones and give them a try. Promise if I do the yoghurt face I'll take a pic! :-)

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carol

      Start off with five:am or black swan breakfast yoghurt. I think I may get some yoghurt face photos if you start with chobani... ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, really helpful to have the comparison between some of the different options. I've pinned this post to my healthy eating Pinterest board for future reference! (I've been eating way more yoghurt since starting the 12wbt!)

    ReplyDelete