Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fibre: Are you getting enough?

I've been doing some research and wanted to share my insights with others...
While travelling this 12WBT journey I have personally experienced but also spoken to others about the Number 2 situation or lack of...

Now I don't want to mess with Mish's meal plans as her team of nutritionists know their stuff so I thought well there is two mini meals I can control during the day "Snacks" and what are the best foods I can eat within the 150 calorie allowance that will be high fibre & give me that extra Number 2 power...

Now to give Mish's team credit nearly all of the Preferred Snacks on her snack list have good fibre content but here are a few more than I have found...

Food Fibre Grams Calories
1 cup Raspberries w/ 100g Vaalia Natural yoghurt 8 144
40g Riviana Popcorn Air popped 6 146
Pear with Skin 5.5 96
Medium Apple with Skin sliced with 1tsp Cinnamon 5.4 86
1 1/4 cups Strawberries w/ 100g Vaalia Natural yoghurt 3.8 129
22 Almonds 3.5 153
Banana 3.1 105
1 Tbsp Peanut Butter & 3 Stalks of Celery 2.7 115


For a healthy digestive system what I have read Women want at least 21-25g & Men 30-38g of fibre per day.  If I look at the meal plan for tomorrow (14th September) there is only 11.7g Dietary fibre in the meal plan so at least 10 grams need to come from snacks if I want to stay regular.

Don't forget with all this fibre you need water.  If you're eating enough fibre but not drinking enough fluid it will also cause constipation.

Better Health Channel advises "In many cases, people who are overweight or obese have been shown to lose significant amounts of excess body fat simply by increasing the amount of dietary fibre, especially soluble fibre, in their daily diet.

Fibrous foods are often bulky and, therefore, filling. They also tend to be low in fat. Soluble fibre forms a gel that slows down the emptying of the stomach and the transit time of food through the digestive system. This extends the time a person feels satisfied or ‘full’. It also delays the absorption of sugars from the intestines. This helps to maintain lower blood sugar levels and prevent a rapid rise in blood insulin levels, which has been linked with obesity and an increased risk of diabetes."

I personally love Raspberries and can't wait till they are in season.  I was very excited to see they are the No.1 fruit when sourcing fibre.

So until summer arrives and fresh becomes affordable again Here is a yummy recipe for frozen Raspberries.

1 minute Raspberry Ice Cream (serves 4)


Put the honey, yoghurt and a few mint leaves into a bowl and blend with a hand mixer. Add the frozen raspberries and blend again until combined. Spoon the frozen mixture into 4 bowls evenly.  If you have an extra 20 calories spare top with 25 fresh blueberries per bowl.



Information on Fibre resources


1 comment:

  1. Well done Dayna, great post and something I will use for sure.

    ReplyDelete