Monday, February 18, 2013

8km conquered, hills & all...

If you have caught Greg's blog today it's going to seem like a rehash but we did both achieve something awesome: Our first 8km run ever and we did it by 2 circuits + 400 metres around The Tan: Running track



The Tan can be a very confronting place for a new runner I think Patrick O'Keeffe sum it up well in this article below is my favourite point from it.


  • Don't look anyone in the eye. All the other runners are crazy. 

It's one of the running tracks that everyone navigates to in Melbourne and it's not until you reach Anderson St hill that your heart & legs melt to the strides of the "Super Runners"  They pass you with effortless ease gliding up the hill when to the novice of 9 months or "The Little Engine That Could" a fighting effort to run at least one climb let alone go back for a second.

Again to quote Patrick O'Keeffe

  • If you are half way up Anderson St and don't think you can make the top, turn around and jog back down as if you are doing repetitions. This avoids embarrassment, while also making it look as though you are sticking to an elaborate training program. 

I'm ecstatic to report back this was not me either lap and I'm now making it a Round 1, Week 10 goal to tackle this hill with 3 laps.  Living in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne we are on what they call the Volcanic Plains  and they are right about the "extensive flat" there is not a hill insight the only inclines I get running local are found on the treadmill.  So I'm committing that once a week I will complete my hill intervals by making my way to Anderson Street in hopes that by the end of the year someone may look upon me and think that I am a "Super Runner" that glides rather than thumps my way up the track.

From my first 1km time trial of 9.26 to running 8km today under 1 hour.   From going to not getting up in the morning to rising at 5.30am to achieve this, I have come along way not only in weight loss but the mindset of believing & achieving.  

When the legs get tired, run with your heart and know that everything you need is already inside.  

When you break your goals down into stepping stones anything can be conquered!  

Bring on Wednesday where I will conquer 7.2km of the Melbourne Zoo as part of the Brooks Sunset Series I'm ready to take you on, hills & all!



2 comments:

  1. I am over the moon that I was able to share this with you and thank you for being my running buddy. We will achieve some great things in the next 12-24 weeks, who knows where we will end up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Dayna!!! You are awesome & inspiring, and you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to!! So proud of you x

    ReplyDelete