Sunday, January 27, 2013

Can I call myself a Triathlete?

Wow what a day I really don't know where to start?

It was an early morning up at 5am and I didn't get to bed till 11.45pm and lets not talk about the falling sleep part...  I think the adrenaline kicked in just after the alarm shocked me awake as I was ready to hike it out the door reasonable quick...
We (G & I) arrived at Albert Park around 6.15am and waited for my fellow 12WBT Warriors Bec, Rachael, & Nicole to arrive.  This is the first event G has attended and supported me which meant a lot.  Seeing & hearing him cheer on the sidelines during the swim & bike really spurred me on...

After we all checked in it was time to rack the bikes, layout our transition outfits then head to the pool.  A few photos later we were lining up for our instructions, safety brief and the swimming was a go...

Unlike a regular Triathlon we were released individually so it took some time getting us all in the pool.  My excitement was so high that my heart rate was around 105, resting for me is usually around 57 while waiting in the sea of ladies...
I made the amateur mistake of forgetting to switch my Polar on when getting called to the pool, I also did not have my goggles on tight enough that when I dived in they came flying off.  A few adjustment and I was off.  It was bottleneck in there everyone clumping around the buoys.  I can not fault my swim I completed the 300m without stopping as I had been training too, my breathing was perfect & I focused on not using my legs too much so the lactic acid would not build up as per the suggestion in Women's Health Magazine.

I ran back to the sea of bikes the borrowed Canary Yellow towel from a Veteran Triathlete helped me greatly with locating mine.  Stood on a towel patted down the feet, rolled on the socks, drew up my Yanz laces on my Asics.  (I love these and totally recommend, they are a time-saver and no more undone laces)  I was so light headed and dizzy from leaning down at this point I was glad that when I threw on my top, helmet and grabbed my bike running it down to the mount zone that it dispersed.

I love my bike!  I was flying, I made mince meat of the headwind where others I was passing were really struggling with it.  The 9kms just flew I kept looking ahead putting targets on peoples backs and pedaled for glory.   Dismounted ran my bike back to it's rack this time it was a little bit more difficult to find as the Canary Towel was on the ground with a myriad of others belongings.  Helmet off, Visor & Sunnies on and off I went to finish the last 3km.

The run definitely was the toughest leg of the Triathlon.  The legs were heavy the body starting to fatigue.  It was a mental game.  Unlike a fun run there were no distance markers.  The course was set out to run 1.5km then return to make the total of 3km.  With what I estimate to be around the 500m mark a lot of runners became walkers, where I would normally zone out to music I had to fight my own thoughts.  'if they are walking it's OK to have a few steps rest', 'when you get to the 1km point you can walk a little too'  but I kept fighting it, pushed through and like the bike leg put targets on peoples backs.   I honestly knew that if I started to walk that was it I would not get the motion back up to run.   It felt slow but I was running, on my way home I high-fived all my team mates who were coming past which spurred my momentum to keep moving...

When a volunteer told me I had 150m to go I started sprinting I just wanted to get to the end & shutdown.
Some electrolytes & a few photos for G I waited and gave my fellow Warriors a congratulatory hug when they crossed the finish line.

 My body held up well!  I was very worried about the run leg as I had tweaked my abductor muscle in the garden again yesterday and spent most of the day in pain, it still wasn't right this morning but knew the swim & cycle would be manageable.  It's been getting really stiff throughout the course of today but lucky I have connections and I will be getting my body manipulated into place again tomorrow.

I really feel like I have achieved a huge milestone this event I went in with the goal of wanting to complete it under 60 minutes.  Yesterday with my Abductor I thought this was going to be impossible but today I estimate that I have completed it in 55 minutes.  (The official times are not out yet)

I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and never in my life did I think I would ever compete let alone finish a Triathlon.  12WBT making the Impossible, to I'm Possible - Audrey Hepburn

So a big shout out to all though who were there today and Tri'ed their hardest.  Julie, Bec, Nicole, Rachael, & Paige you are all amazing women, superstars, & now add Triathletes...  And for all the men in our lives who came to support us, Thank-you...

So next on the list 7.1km around Sanctuary Lakes next Saturday.  If I make it, it will be my longest distance run to date.
Followed by the Brooks Sunset Series starting on 6th February.

Reach for the stars and rest up on Cloud 9...

4 comments:

  1. According to my triathlon coach, the second you do a triathlon you can call yourself a triathlete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayna you absolute rock big time girl. I have the utmost admiration for you. And that's special when a partner comes along and sees you achieving a goal like that, he must have been over the moon excited. I know how I felt when I saw Mike at the end of a fun run I had just completed, it's a great moment. Way to go!

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Well done! It's a great feeling and such a nice event! Be careful, they're addictive. I'm looking forward to trying for a PB this year in my 6th Pink tri. It's been so inspirational running it pregnant, post partum, next to women on chemo, next to a 72 year old doing her first tri. A wonderful, supportive "club" to join! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome, Dayna - congratulations!! I also love how you wrote this - it's like we were there with you cheering you on. :)

    -RubySneakers

    ReplyDelete